Make this with fresh apples, freeze it, then pop it in the oven to warm up one of those cold winter days! One quart of this pie filling will fill a deep dish crust. Mom often just puts the filling in a two quart baking dish and covers it with pie crust. Yum Yum.
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 1/2 -to-6 cups apples (15 medium apples, sliced)
- In a large pan, blend the first four ingredients and 1 teaspoon salt, stir in 10 cups of water, cook until bubbly.
- Add lemon juice.
- Pack apples into "hot" jars, leaving 1 inch at the top.
- Fill in hot syrup, leaving l/2 inch at top.
- Adjust lids, process in boiling water for 20 minutes (for quart jars) or 15 minutes for pints.
To make into pie, place in pie shell and cover with second pie shell (or a crumb topping of your choice). Bake for one hour in a 350-degree oven.from "The Country Place Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Fresh Fruits and Berries" by Elizabeth Snare Smith
© 1995 Elizabeth Snare Smith