Scuppernong Jam Recipe
Posted by Dave at 10/15/2009 3:33:41 PM
- 2 quarts muscadines or scuppernongs
- 6 cups sugar
- Separate pulp from skins of grapes. If desired, chop the skins in a food blender or chopper.
- Cook skins gently 15 lo 20 minutes, adding only enough water to prevent sticking (about 1/2 cup).
- Cook pulp without water until soft; press through a sieve or food mill to remove seeds.
- Combine pulp, skins, and sugar.
- Bring slowly to boiling, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Cook rapidly almost to jellying point, about 10 minutes. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Pour hot jam into jars, leaving 1/4 head space.
- Adjust lids.
- Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.
Makes aboul 3 pints.from "The Country Place Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Fresh Fruits and Berries" by Elizabeth Snare Smith
© 1995 Elizabeth Snare Smith