Scuppernong Pie Recipe
Posted by Dave at 10/15/2009 3:35:08 PM
- 4 cups scuppernongs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margerine, melted
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- Crumb Topping
- Rinse scuppernongs; drain well.
- Remove skins from scuppernongs; separate and set both aside.
- Place pulp in a heavy saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Press pulp through a sieve to remove seeds.
- Combine pulp, skins, suger, and next four ingredients; stir well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Sprinkle Crumb Topping over pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
Makes one 9-inch pie.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margerine
- Combine flour and sugar; stir well.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Makes about 1 cup.from "The Country Place Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Fresh Fruits and Berries" by Elizabeth Snare Smith
© 1995 Elizabeth Snare Smith